What is Pragma?
Pragma is a free, open source custom game engine written in C++. Here is an overview over some of its core features:
- Support for various Source Engine and Source 2 assets, such as: maps, models, materials, textures, sound-script files and particle systems
- Extensive modding support with Lua (with Live-coding, debugging-support with the ZeroBrane IDE, support for custom shaders, custom entities/weapons/NPCs/vehicles, etc)
- Support for PBR (physically based rendering)
- Support for the Cycles-renderer (the same as used by Blender)
- Multiplayer-support, including dedicated servers
- Steam Workshop support
- VR support
- Support for the Bullet and PhysX physics engines
- Support for OpenGL and Vulkan
- AI-system based on behavior trees
- Steam Audio support for spatial audio
Pragma is currently in an early beta, some features may not be fully functional at the moment or are unfinished/experimental.
Pragma also ships with the Pragma Filmmaker, an open source alternative to the Source Filmmaker.
You can use the Book Navigation on the left to navigate to the next page, which has details on how to download and install Pragma.
- Operating System: Windows 8.1 64 Bit (or newer)
- Memory: 4 GiB RAM or more
- Graphics card: Any GPU with at least OpenGL 4.5 or Vulkan support
A Linux build will be available in the future.
If Pragma crashes on startup, you can try switching to the Vulkan renderer by adding
-graphics_api vulkan to the launch parameters.
Latest Version: 0.9.10 (2020-10-29)
This is a standalone (non-steam) version of Pragma. No installation is required, just extract it somewhere and run the "run.bat".
This version does not come with an auto-updater, which means you will have to re-download Pragma whenever there's a new update!
Latest Version: 0.9.7
Pragma is available on Steam as a beta. It is currently hidden, which means you won't be able to find it on the Steam store, you will need a Steam key to get access to the Steam version.
Free keys are occasionally posted on the Discord server (Check the pinned messages in the "General" channel). If none are available, you can try the standalone version instead.
Patrons of the project (any tier) also get a guaranteed Steam key.
Patron Preview DLC
Tier 3 Patrons (Patron++) also get access to a preview DLC key, which contains the most up-to-date version of Pragma and the Pragma Filmmaker. This version contains features that have not been made public in the other versions yet.
Detailed instructions on how to build Pragma will follow.
Pragma crashes on startup
If Pragma crashes on startup, please ensure that your system fulfills the system requirements and that your graphics drivers are up to date.
There is no text in the main menu
-graphics_api vulkan to the launch options in Pragma to switch to the Vulkan renderer: