The Pragma Filmmaker (PFM) is an addon for the Pragma Engine and is shipped with all Pragma installations by default. See here for information on how to install Pragma. Click here for more information on the Engine itself.
PFM is currently in a very early beta stage, it is not a viable replacement for SFM yet. You can use it for rendering, however the editing capabilities are currently very limited.
The primary goal of this project is an open-source, highly moddable alternative to the Source Filmmaker, with new features and quality of life changes. The project is still in an early state and is funded by Patreon supporters. Some of the current features include:
- Support for various Source Engine and Source 2 assets, such as: maps, models, materials, textures, sound-script files and particle systems
- Support for loading SFM projects/sessions
- Can automatically locate assets of installed Source Engine / Source 2 games (as well as workshop addons and Gamebryo games)
- Raytraced rendering with Cycles (the same renderer used by Blender)
- External rendering tool for rendering in the background
- Extensive modding support with Lua
- Support for physically based rendering
- Steam Audio support for spatial audio* (WIP)
- Open source (Source Code available on GitHub)
- Written in Lua to maximize moddability
- Import and export capabilities for easy interoperability with Blender
Here's a comparison render between SFM and PFM:
For information on how to load and render your SFM animations with PFM, check out this article.